CANDIDATEDP Programme Brochure كُتيِّب برنامج الدبلوما
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is for students aged 16-19.
Ajman Academy is pleased to announce that we are committed to continuing International Baccalaureate (IB). Our vision at Ajman is to create a holistic and challenging learning environment that will prepare students as future global citizens. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) has laid the foundations; from September 2017 Ajman Academy students will continue with their IB journey through the implementation of the Middle Years Programme (MYP), with a vision of the Diploma (DP) programme to commence in September 2018.
What is the DP?
Research suggests that there are many benefits to choosing the DP. The programme aims to develop students who have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge – students who flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
What the DP offers students
Through the DP, schools are able to develop students who:
- have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge
- flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- study at least two languages
- excel in traditional academic subjects
- explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course.
Why offer the DP?
International research shows that there are many benefits to choosing the DP over other 16-19 curricula. For example:
- DP students are better able than their peers to cope with demanding workloads, manage their time and meet the expectations placed on them, according to one study
- Analysis of DP students in Canada, the UK and the USA found that the DP’s extended essay improves students’ approach to learning in higher education
- 72% of students taking the DP in China attend one of the world’s top 500 universities, according to a 2013 study.
You can read more key facts about the DP.
GRADE 11 & 12 - Sixth Form
The Key Stage 5 curriculum provides an opportunity for students to gain the qualifications needed for university entrance. Grade 11 students will study 4 subjects at AS Level with examinations at the end of Grade 11. In Grade 12 students will drop one of their subjects and study 3 A Level subjects with end of year final examinations.