Language Acquisition: French
Grade 6, 7 and 8 students are embarking on an exciting language learning journey. In French, they will cover four units of work: all about me, what I like, my school and my environment.
Over the course of the year, they will develop all their skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) through various approaches to learning. Students will build foundations that they will use for as long as they study foreign languages. Therefore it is an important year with good habits to embed as early as possible such as regular home learning.
The MYP guide states that “An overarching aim of teaching and learning languages is to enable the student to become a critical and competent communicator.”
The aims of the teaching and learning of MYP language acquisition are to:
- gain proficiency in an additional language while supporting maintenance of students’ mother tongue and cultural heritage
- develop a respect for, and understanding of, diverse linguistic and cultural heritages
- develop the student’s communication skills necessary for further language learning, and for study, work and leisure in a range of authentic contexts and for a variety of audiences and purposes
- enable the student to develop multi-literacy skills through the use of a range of learning tools, such as multimedia, in the various modes of communication
- enable the student to develop an appreciation of a variety of literary and non-literary texts and to develop critical and creative techniques for comprehension and construction of meaning
- enable the student to recognize and use language as a vehicle of thought, reflection, self-expression and learning in other subjects, and as a tool for enhancing literacy
- enable the student to understand the nature of language and the process of language learning, which comprises the integration of linguistic, cultural and social components
- offer insight into the cultural characteristics of the communities where the language is spoken
- encourage an awareness and understanding of the perspectives of people from own and other cultures, leading to involvement and action in own and other communities
- foster curiosity, inquiry and a lifelong interest in, and enjoyment of, language learning.
We are perfectly located off the E311
Sharjah - 15 mins
Mirdiff - 20 mins
Ras Al Khaimah - 35 mins
Silicon Oasis - 25 mins